WHAT’S THE PROBLEM?
- Wealth Creation has become disconnected from wellbeing and the common good.
- The existing economic model is increasingly degrading the human and natural capital that we depend upon and is consequently becoming dysfunctional, dehumanized and unsustainable.
- Markets have no systemic mechanism for replenishing the value extracted from people, place or planet.
SOME OF THE SYMPTOMS & CONSEQUENCES
- Endemic ‘short termism’.
- Wealth inequality has grown not decreased.
- Old style ‘solutions’ such as ‘trickle down’ do not work.
- More contemporary solutions such as CSR and social enterprise remain islands within an existing dysfunctional landscape and are therefore dependent on individual largesse.
- Legal structures and ingrained culture force businesses to prioritise increasing profits for shareholders at the expense of replenishing foundational value in people, communities and nature.
- Mistrust of business and government grows without a sense of inclusion, community or co-creation.
- Few have financial security (which has become defined as job security) or feel fulfilled and as technology is predicted to replace up to a third of existing jobs in the near future many see our current form of capitalism as a failed or failing system.
BUT THERE’S A BABY IN THE BATHWATER !
- The dynamism of entrepreneurial activity is the true heart of business
- Harnessed the right way this can be a powerful force for good
- Enabling us to create and improve the products and services that CAN ensure that (soon to be) 9 billion people live well within the constraints of one planet
WHAT’S OUR SOLUTION?
- Mutualize the market not individual companies
- Manage surplus in way that replenishes human and natural capital
- Redefine the landscape of capitalism to focus on the power of entrepreneurial creation rather than finance
- Create an alternative economic paradigm within the existing system.
- Build companies as systemic engines for change through a new architecture that motivates employees, businesses and communities and creates legitimacy by mobilizing private ownership for the common good
PRINCIPLES FOR A WAY FORWARD
- Transform normal companies into engines of change.
- Identify a systemic solution rather than just individual company initiatives
- Invest in everyone in the community.
- Support entrepreneurship.
- Use profit for the common good and for growth.
- Foster collaboration, stability, sustainability and resilience.
OUR VISION – THE COMMON’S CORPORATION
- To humanise and transform the power of business creativity through a new systemic economic structure.
- An architecture that creates and manages the space between autonomous organisations within an interdependent framework
- A series of enterprise networks, based upon a new replicable approach that integrates private enterprise & the common good through a systemic design with inbuilt mechanisms for economic expansion, resilience and stability.